How exactly does Sustain work?

Hello!
I am really excited to start playing Skies of Axia, and have had the book and printed materials for quite a while, but am still waiting to get my group together! Anyway, while trying to prepare and get the basic mechanics down on my head, the only one I have an issue understanding is Sustain. Does it work like this? (using Rook's Guided Weapon as an example).
1) On Rook's turn he takes a Slow action and casts Guided Weapon, targeting himself to +4 A for himself for the turn
2) he takes his remaining actions and ends his turn
3) On Rook's next turn, before actions, he declares that he will Sustain Guided Weapon and gets the +4 A for himself again (or can he choose new target?)
4) On every subsequent turn for Rook he can continue to do step 3 above, OR, change the sustain to a different Spell played in the previous turn that has the Sustain ability (such as Blaze of Glory).

Am I on the right page? Does Sustain have the option to repeat every turn until the end of round? Does it keep the original targets or can new targets be picked for the Spell on each turn?

Thanks for the help guys!

Matt

[NOM] Derek

Administrator
Staff member
Hello!
I am really excited to start playing Skies of Axia, and have had the book and printed materials for quite a while, but am still waiting to get my group together! Anyway, while trying to prepare and get the basic mechanics down on my head, the only one I have an issue understanding is Sustain. Does it work like this? (using Rook's Guided Weapon as an example).
1) On Rook's turn he takes a Slow action and casts Guided Weapon, targeting himself to +4 A for himself for the turn
2) he takes his remaining actions and ends his turn
3) On Rook's next turn, before actions, he declares that he will Sustain Guided Weapon and gets the +4 A for himself again (or can he choose new target?)
4) On every subsequent turn for Rook he can continue to do step 3 above, OR, change the sustain to a different Spell played in the previous turn that has the Sustain ability (such as Blaze of Glory).

Am I on the right page? Does Sustain have the option to repeat every turn until the end of round? Does it keep the original targets or can new targets be picked for the Spell on each turn?

Thanks for the help guys!

Matt
Hey Matt!

It's so nice to have you join us and I hope you and your group have a great time playing through Skies when you get the chance.

To answer your questions on Sustain Actions, I'll use your example of Rook's Guided Weapon to explain.

Initiating a Sustain Effect: To initiate the Guided Weapon Effect, Rook must use 2 Action Points (as though it were a General Action). Once activated, he immediately reaps the benefit of the Action, which in this case, would be +4 A on himself. If he Targeted another Hero with Guided Weapon, they would get +2 A instead.

Sustaining the Sustain Effect: On the next Turn, Rook may select up to his Sustain Limit of Effects to repeat. Rook selects these during Step 2 of his Turn, directly after restoring his Action Pool but before using any of it to take Actions. Repeated Effects through the Sustain mechanic do not expend Action Pool, additional Tide-Turner Charges (they're only used upon initial cast), require additional CAP Checks if they Target a Foe (e.g. Laureat's Wildfire), and the Target does not need to stay within the Range of the Action (the Range only determines the initial casting Range).

You cannot, however, transfer the Effect between Heroes for free. Instead, for a second Hero to gain the benefit of Guided Weapon, Rook would need to cast it a second time, using the requisite Action Points and any other resources (2 in the case of Guided Weapon and no Tide-Turner Charges), before the other Hero would also gain the benefit of Guided Weapon.

If Rook wanted to Sustain Guided Weapon on both himself and the other Hero, each copy of Guided Weapon counts toward Rook's Sustain Limit. He will need to decide which he wishes to maintain for free, using his Sustain Limit of 1. The other copy will need to be recast every Turn, using Action Pool. If he had a Sustain Limit of 2, he would be able to maintain both instances of Guided Weapons (or 1 copy of Guided Weapon and 1 Blaze of Glory, if he chose to do so), without using Action Pool.

Maintaining Sustains for Multiple Turns: Sustain Effects can also be repeated for an indefinite amount of Turns, provided that they are never dropped. If your Hero drops an Effect, your Hero must recast the Action (expending Action Pool and all other initial costs) before it they can sustain the Effect forward again.

Hope that clears things up!

(Please excuse any typos, I'm on my phone!)

Hi Derek!

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I was pretty close in my assumptions, which is good. It means the rule text isn't as complicated as I initially thought. Can't wait to play, and I ordered the two new books via the latest Kickstarter, so looking forward to those releases as well!

Matt